When you’re thinking about reinventing user experience:
1. Start with the core problem, the one that everyone else is failing to solve, and throw out whatever everyone is doing.
2. Ask yourself the fundamental question: “What problem am I trying to solve?” If it’s making file sharing easy, start there. And if it’s finding the best, least agonizing flight, start there.
3. Build a user experience that solves the simplest problem you can and you’ll probably be onto something.
4. After you’ve mocked up a bunch of different approaches, try to find the simplest one that that still solves the problem, but doesn’t include anything that gets in the way.
5. Talk to your market! Build a consumer app prototype. Then take this down to your local independent coffee seller and offer people a free cup of coffee to get their opinion on what you’ve built.